Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Prayer of The Children

There are moments... I'm sure every mom reading this knows them all too well. Those moments when our children whom we have just fed, dressed, cuddled with, read to, and allowed to watch their favorite morning program, and play a learning game online.... are bored. Those moments when our child who has just had a birthday party one month after opening way too many Christmas presents wants that latest plastic something-or-other and his response to you saying "we cannot have everything we want" is replied to with "THAT'S NOT FAIR". Those moments when a train could burst through the kitchen wall, but you wouldn't hear it over the bickering in the other room...

Ya... despite our efforts at pouring every ounce of love and living out a Christian life, our children still think the world revolves around them sometimes. No matter what logic or ethic we attempt to share to balance the moment, they just can't see beyond the immediate experience at times.

Those are the times when I break out my "children of the world" talk. We sit, and I tell them about little children, their ages who are suffering in this world. How their childhood has been stolen from them by war, hatred, abuse, poverty. I try to remind them how blessed they are, and how there are times when things may not always be fair, and it's in those times that we most need to practice what we believe and "step up to the plate" even more for all those in the world who have to live with what is unfair and unjust every day.

Sometimes after one of our talks, I just break down. I think of how any one of my children "could" have been sent to parents in a war torn country, in an abusive home, etc. And how any one of those suffering children "could" have been mine. My heart aches. I want to take them all into my arms and kiss their heads and keep them safe. And... there are twinges of "guilt", I think... that we go on with our lives day in and day out while they suffer...

But, the Lord, who is AWESOME reminds me gently that I cannot save the world, or it's children. Not all of them... I can do what I can by being as aware and as involved as possible. I surely can pray. But most importantly, I can keep caring with all of my heart for the children that He did send me. The best thing I can do for ALL the children is to raise my children to care.

My oldest daughter called me to her side at the computer this morning to share this U-Tube video. Pictures truly say a thousand words, but these words too are beautiful...

Some may think "what the heck does this have to do with Tellnard Mountain?" Everything. The faith, hope, and love we strive each day to fill our children with, is not to store in a treasure house here, but to send out into that big world, where the only difference between "us" and "them" is that divine providence "planted" us where we are. The only reason the "divide" will continue to exist is if we refuse to grow.

Hope you mommies have your tissues ready...

Please scroll down the side of our blog and pause the music playing here so that you can hear the words of this compelling video.



In case, the above widget doesn't operate, you can click here:
The Prayer of The Children


Peace & Love, *Linda*

2 comments:

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Linda, I'm not sure which moved me more . . . . your heartfelt words of reality in your home, or the video.

Our lives move on so rapidly, we become so used to who and what we are and what we have, and we forget that at any moment, but for the grace of God, it could all be gone.

Take each day as a gift from God, each moment as a prized pearl, each smile from your toothless child as a treasure to hide in your heart. The bickering in the other room????? Someday you will long to hear it again - someday, when they are all grown up and gone and you are a grandmother!

Life on Tellnard Mountain will go on, and the memories you have made, recorded, and shared will echo down through the years to come in the hearts of all who have been blessed to share in them.

Thank you for being who you are and sharing your family with me!

Cora

Cora from Hidden Riches said...
This comment has been removed by the author.